A running rant about bad television, crappy products, horrible service, mindless politics, corporate and government ineptitude, moronic media, marketing overload, public idiocy, stupid entertainment, etc. Here's what's annoying me today:

10.22.2006

Globe magazine becomes Gay Lifestyles Weekly



When did the Globe magazine turn into The Advocate?
(Not that there is anything wrong with that.)

Lately it seems almost every feature in the Globe magazine focuses on a gay couple. This week's issue is the home design issue, and the lead story focuses on Marty Layne and her partner, Patty Bird's new kitchen/living area. Last week, the story was about couples overloaded with mortgage debt, and sure enough the opening of the story featured Gregory Truman and his 56-year-old husband. A few weeks ago, I remember some story on schools, and one of the features was on a gay couple choosing a school for their kid. The "Coupling" column is just as often about a gay couple as a straight couple.

Now let me preface this by saying that I could care less about gay marriage at this point. When it first came up, it did seem overreaching to me. Why not settle for "domestic partnership" or something, rather than pushing for something you know is going to rile up all the right-wing lunatics, and play right into the Karl Rove playbook. But at this point, who the fuck cares! There is a lot more to worry about in this country, and I'm certainly against any right-wing efforts to amend the constitution to outlaw gay marriage.

But it is clearly obvious that the editors of the Globe magazine are going out of their way to infuse gay culture into the pages in a major way. And even though I am generally liberal, especially on social issues, I still find it strange, and a little manipulative to be reading a mainstream magazine, and find so many what seem forced instances of gay domestic bliss portrayed. It's almost like a mandate that the editors now have to include an example of a gay couple in every feature package.

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not that I have any insight to this - I wonder if their marketing research is telling them that gay sells? I would guess it has alot more to do with $ than with and editorial position.

11:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, totally makes no sense to appeal to the demographic with the highest education level and largest amount of disposable income in America, while at the same time defusing homophobia by giving gays positive media exposure! I mean, what were they thinking?

2:05 PM

 
Blogger Cranky said...

Well since the Globe is looking for local owners, maybe Bay Windows should buy it, and just go all the way with that plan.

6:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe they got tired of seeing pleated docker-clad soccer mini-van driving cretins. Maybe its about time that media sent a message to people that gay relationships are just as legitimate as straight ones - after decades of NOT showing such images.

11:48 PM

 
Blogger Sick of Extremes said...

I get tired of seeing what any other people are doing with their homes. Where do they get the money for these huge make-overs?!

5:05 PM

 
Blogger Cranky said...

Well, I guess I'm a good guy to ask about that, since I've poured more money into this place than I paid for it in the first place. Put off saving for retirement, I guess. By the way, did you hear that one of our buddies is working on the Crankyabode.

5:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home