A running rant about bad television, crappy products, horrible service, mindless politics, corporate and government ineptitude, moronic media, marketing overload, public idiocy, stupid entertainment, etc. Here's what's annoying me today:

3.29.2006

Packaging Madness



I just ordered a new camera. Through the miracle of the internet/delivery-industry complex, it arrived barely 24 hours after I ordered it via Amazon. Camera arrived in a reasonable sized box, and cost something like $13 for delivery. Small price to pay since the camera cost me $40 less than anywhere else I saw it.

But I also ordered a memory card from a separate vendor. Again, I shopped around and got a super good deal, so I didn't grumble that much about paying $6 for delivery of a $9 item. It's all relative.

But check this picture out. See the little blue spec at the bottom of the box. That is the memory card (1" x 1.25" x 1/32") resting against the box it came in. (12" x 9" x 8")

That's just packaging craziness.

At least it wasn't filled with styrofoam peanuts. That really would have pissed me off.

This could turn into a really long post on this subject, but I just don't have the time right now. My son's birthday isn't too far away, and that might be a better time to get into the whole broader issue of packaging madness. Nothing is nuttier than the way kids toys are packaged.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger leifpeng said...

Now that's incredible. Looking forward to your rant on children's toy packaging - and happy birthday in advance to your son. ;-)

4:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You must post something about the crazy plastic packaging that is sealed so tightly around the edges that knives & scissors won't even open it.

12:12 AM

 
Blogger Cranky said...

Yes, imagine how long it takes that stuff to decompose in a landfill. It's indestructable. This was actually wrapped inside of one of those inside this giant box.

7:01 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey I went to battle on this today! My co. imports canvas panels, and I demanded to not buy plastic shrinkwrapping 'round each one. It's an unecessary use of petroleum, and fills landfills, never disentegrates. The decision-maker writes back that customers demand it because otherwise the panels get dirty-looking and therefore undesirable to consumers. And that was that. (Maybe..)

I read your blig at work. I link to it. Please check out mine.
http://senatorsquid.blogspot.com/

2:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home