A running rant about bad television, crappy products, horrible service, mindless politics, corporate and government ineptitude, moronic media, marketing overload, public idiocy, stupid entertainment, etc. Here's what's annoying me today:

3.05.2006

Blogging the Oscars



Here's a post of random thoughts while watching the Oscars.

Going into it, here are my thoughts. With two little kids, I don't get out to the movies as often as I used to, although this year, I have seen a decent number of the films nominated. Walk the Line was the best movie I've seen this year, so will root for both Reese Witherspoon and Joaquin Phoenix, both of whom were awesome. I saw Brokeback Mountain, and thought it was good, but far from great. I really didn't buy the relationships in the film at all. I saw Munich last night, and thought it was good. I saw Crash several months ago, and thought it was pretty good. Certainly better than expected for a Sandra Bullock movie, but I was surprised when I heard it was nominated for Best Picture. I don't know about that. Saw Junebug earlier this week, thought it was a good film, and that Amy Adams was much more worthy of Best Supporting Actress than Michelle Williams in Brokeback.

  • Hope the show starts soon. I really can't take this mindless interviewing of celebs on the red carpet by dopes.

  • They aren't gay cowboys, they were hearding sheep. They were fucking shepherds.

  • Cute intro with all the ex-hosts.

  • This may be a long night for Jon Stewart.

  • Nicole Kidman is hot.

  • How old is Dolly Parton? Should I insert a plastic surgury joke here, or say she still looks amazing.

  • Funniest moment so far: Will Ferrell and Steve Carell decked out in bad makeup to introduce the makeup category. Runner up: Ben Stiller in green suit sketch.

  • How come Don Knotts wasn't included in the sequence of stars that died this year. Sure he was mainly a television guy, but there were the classics The Reluctant Astronaut and The Incredible Mr. Limpet. Certainly should have been a mention.

  • OK, too many lame awards eating up air time. I'm not going to make it to the big ones.

Postscript. I'm really tired of Billy Crystal, so Jon Stewart was a good change, but I think he's going to be a one-termer like Letterman. He seemed to fall kind of flat. Glad Brokeback Mountain didn't win Best Picture. It just wasn't that good. But Crash? Glad to see Reese Witherspoon won Best Actress. Must see Capote soon.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger blogagog said...

Trustee of truth, don't ask, don't tell.

I watched Capote last night, since I'm not a fan of awards shows. It's pretty slow, but it was pretty good I guess. I had always assumed he was a literary version of Warhol, but if this movie was accurate, he's not.

Heh, I'm going to ask people if they've seen the 'fucking shepherds' movie from now on :)

5:04 PM

 
Blogger Sick of Extremes said...

Did you happen to catch any Right-wing mouthpiece radio today?! Very predictable response to the Oscars. Rush, of course took selected recordings and overamplified their significance but the rest of them all had the same thing to say. Stewart sucked, Clooney is an elitist asshole, Hollywood is out of touch and the movies were mediocre. I saw about an hour of it and thought it wasn't that bad except when Lauren Bacall couldn't read her cue cards and was shaking but it wasn't that great either (except when Ben Stiller did the green suit thing and the makeup gag was great.) Funny thing is, I haven't seen the Fucking Shepherd movie or any of the other movies except Wallace and Grommet. You pretty much nailed it!

Trustee, that was an image I didn't need!

10:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home