A running rant about bad television, crappy products, horrible service, mindless politics, corporate and government ineptitude, moronic media, marketing overload, public idiocy, stupid entertainment, etc. Here's what's annoying me today:

3.07.2006

The Apprentice has Jumped the Shark

Many of you will find it odd that I ever liked The Apprentice, but for some reason I did. I ragged on my wife when she wanted to watch the very first episode, then became hooked on it. It's the only reality show I've ever watched other than the original Real World. And even back when I was REALLY an anti-business liberal, there was something about Trump that fascinated me.

So anyway, I've watched just about every episode (except the Martha version that was completely unwatchable). Every year, the formula becomes ever more transparent, yet I kept watching. There was always someone to root for, and someone to root against. In the beginning you actually learned something about business, and it was intriguing to see how really smart people in business made decisions.

But more and more it has just become about The Boardroom. Sure it's scripted as hell, but there was always some intriguing drama that would play out in the boardroom, and it was fun to see how Trump would react to things that unfolded.

But last night, it took me only five minutes to shut it off, and declare that it had jumped the shark. I couldn't even stick around to see how hot Trump's daughter was. It's so clear every year that there are at least a few goons put there by the producers just to annoy people and cause conflict. The fat guy in this episode is obviously the one this time. The show this week immediately devolved into a fight between him, and the obligatory blond bitch. I didn't even hear who was fired. I don't care. OK, I just looked, and it seems two of them were fired, and it was not the fat guy. Guess they need him for more conflict in later episodes.

But its not just the obvious manipulative casting. The tasks have become just stupid blatant ads for whatever client is paying for that week's episode. Trump's intro to the task is just a bad commercial. There is product placement more obvious than on The Price is Right. And the tasks show nothing about the contestants' business skills.

The first year, they would actually have to do tasks that would show how much business savvy they had. It was interesting to watch how things developed, where people made mistakes, where they made smart moves. Last night was some stupid text-messaging ad campaign to sell Gillette razors.

So it's over for The Apprentice. It will have to come off my Guilty Pleasures list. Now I'll have to be subjected by the wife to watching Supernanny. Expect a post on that soon.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sick of Extremes said...

I don't know why Martha agreed to that show to begin with, it was way out of her element and ultimately made her look like a clown! I got bored of The Apprentice last year. There are way too many reality shows on these days with the 'Skating with the Stars or 'Biggest Losers'. I think whole genre jumped the shark after the 'Most Eligible Bachelor' series fizzled out.

11:37 AM

 
Blogger Cranky said...

SickOE, please tell me you don't really watch Biggest Losers.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger Sick of Extremes said...

Are you kidding me?! Who wants to see a bunch of fat people lose weight over the course of weeks? It's like that Oprah feel-good crap in a mini series! I couldn't stand 30 seconds of that show or any of the others for that matter. I think my wife got me to watch 'Bachelor' once and the women were such gold diggers it was nauseating! Some of the statistics I read about Americans explains why these shows have staying power though. Count me out for the skating and dancing shows with the 'stars' too.

9:26 AM

 
Blogger Cranky said...

Confession to make here. I got sucked back in to The Apprentice last night. Came down to a choice between it and Supernanny, and after just getting the two kids in bed, the last thing we wanted to do was to watch a show full of screaming brats. Not that ours are brats, but they are loud.

All the gripes in the original post are still valid, but somehow it is still an entertaining show.

10:13 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the next reality show will be "Taking a Crap with Celebrities!"

4:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home