A running rant about bad television, crappy products, horrible service, mindless politics, corporate and government ineptitude, moronic media, marketing overload, public idiocy, stupid entertainment, etc. Here's what's annoying me today:

4.18.2006

What we've got here is failure to communicate


Cell phones suck. I friggin hate talking on them. For some reason lately, everyone has been calling me on the cellphone. And there just always seems to be a disconnect in the communications. There is like a time lag or something, that is just enough to screw up the timing of the conversation. I start to talk. But they had already started to talk. Then we both stop, because we think we are interrupting the other. Or worse, we both talk louder to try to take control of the conversation. Then there is a dead spot, and you miss a vital piece of information. It's just a friggin mess. Call me on the god damn land line next time.

4/19 UPDATE: Here's a technological explaination of what I'm talking about, and why people shout on cellphones.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Penrick said...

It's not the phone, it's the people. People think they are so cool talking on the phone while driving, sitting at the bar or in the doctor's office. Just think, other countries have had them in place of home phones for years. I can't wait until we get over this fad. Did you ever talk to people this much BEFORE you got a cell phone?

10:39 AM

 
Blogger Sick of Extremes said...

It's no fad, it's here to stay. Trouble is, you have different networks from different phone companies and they work well in some areas but shitty in others. You see the damn towers everywhere. Why can't there be a universal system? Maybe when Walmart decides to get into telecommunications (after it lies its way into banking) they'll make one!

11:06 AM

 
Blogger Duez said...

It's definitely here to stay. About two years ago, my wife and I decided that we weren't about to keep paying 40+ bucks a month for a home phone line and 2 cell phones. We ditched the home phone line. Having 2 cell phones alone is a lot less expensive. We haven't missed having a home phone line once. In fact, I wouldn't doubt if most people go in this direction. I know a lot of college kids that are graduating and doing the same thing.

I guess it depends on where you are calling from and the service you have. But, with Verizon I have never had a problem with dropped calls, static, or anything else. Great service.

My biggest pet peeve in the world though is people driving and talking on the phone. What is even more wild? In my suburban neighborhood kids are now using their cell phones WHILE RIDING THEIR BIKES! Which is even more dangerous actually. It is so stupid.

8:23 AM

 
Blogger Cranky said...

I don't think people are getting my gripe. Obviously cell phones are here to stay. I have Verizon and my service is OK. There is just something wrong with the pacing of a conversation on the cell phone. You end up yelling, or feeling the other person missed something you said, or just generally feeling like you aren't communicating as well as on a land line. I've read technical explainations of this. There is some type of a delay on a land phone that makes you feel like you are having a real coversation. And for some reason, a cell phone doesn't work this way.

8:56 AM

 
Blogger ____________ said...

By the way, "Civil War" was one of Guns N' Roses best songs!

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Rikki said...

Man, I remember what it was like BEFORE mobile phones... simpler times. simpler times.

9:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya, simpler times until your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. And I mean stretches of Interstate where there is not a single light on the horizon. (For you east coasters, there are places like this out west, where there is cell service, but absolutely NO population to speak of).

THEN, you're thankful you've got one.

10:53 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home