A running rant about bad television, crappy products, horrible service, mindless politics, corporate and government ineptitude, moronic media, marketing overload, public idiocy, stupid entertainment, etc. Here's what's annoying me today:

1.22.2007

Stop Mixing Sports and Politics



While I'm not a huge fan of sports talk radio, there are times, like during a Patriots or Red Sox playoff run, or immediately after a meltdown, that I enjoy tuning into WEEI. But the last thing I want to hear, two days before the biggest football game of the year, is right wing politics. Seems, lately that's all I get. Three times this week, I tuned into Dennis and Callahan to see what they were saying about the Pats, and all three times, they were trashing Hillary or Obama, and barely talking sports at all. Even today after last night's debacle in Indianapolis, they are talking politics when I turn them on.

Now a case could be made that a low IQ makes for entertaining sports talk, but in my book, that certainly doesn't translate to political talk. If I want a dose of right wing politics, I'll tune in Jay Severin. I certainly don't need to hear it from the sports bozos.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, I had the same listening habits you describe, and their political 'commentary' is the exact reason I stopped listening to WEEI over a year ago.

It's a shame that station is the only real sports-talk game in town, as any half-decent competition would either crush them or (hopefully) prompt management to squash the poli-talk. But for now, I'd rather hear no sports-talk at all than be subjected to D&C's views...

3:06 PM

 
Blogger TheSpartan said...

I agree, there rants are often not only stupid but racist as well.

9:35 AM

 
Blogger Anna said...

I am here via Carmi....I love your blog and your top 10 lists!

4:35 PM

 
Blogger carmilevy said...

I thought I'd follow Anna back here and say hi.

This reminds me of the old Sesame Street staple: one of these things...does not belong...

This is why radio is in such a steep decline.

9:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a bunch of fuddy-duddy people who are afraid of the inevitable....the world is changing and they don't want to change with it. So they have to express their views onto an audience that tuned in for the sports. Sports are a great way to escape all the bad politics in the world. don't ruin it with your rightwingspeak!

8:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm driving a van with no cd player all day Tuesday and Thursday and I don't go near those two nitwits. I abhor D & C. I will listen to Dale & Holley though - and even though Dale is a moron and annoying, at least he keeps it in a sports context (except his obsession w/ the tv show 24, which he calls the best thing on TV ever - he must've never seen The Wire).

I can't stand The Big Show - most especially when Smerlas & DeOssie are on. But today Pete Shepherd hosted and he blew them out of the water. That guy is full of some serious hatred - he shouldn't be allowed near a live mic.

Why O Why can't 890 ESPN radio put a hurting on these guys?

5:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just as a point of history. One Sports announcer decided his political rants got him popular so he went nationwide with his commentary entertainment show. His name? Rush Limbaugh.

8:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home